Vietnamese authorities announced on Wednesday that the 10-year-old boy had been stuck in a concrete hole 115 feet deep since his death on New Year’s Eve, according to reports.
The boy, identified as Thai Ly Hao Nam, was first heard screaming for help when he slipped down a 10-inch-diameter shaft at a bridge construction site in Dong Thap province Saturday morning as he was scrapping with friends.
Although oxygen was pumped into the hole amid efforts to reach it, the boy stopped interacting with rescuers on Monday. Crews lowered a camera in an attempt to pinpoint its location.
The BBC reported on Wednesday that the boy was cut as rescuers tried to lift the pillar.
VIETNAM RESCUERS RACE TO RESCUE BOY TRAPPED IN 115FT CONCRETE HOLE SINCE NEW YEAR
Doan Tan Buu, deputy chief of Vietnam’s southern province, also said there was not enough oxygen to reach the 10-year-old, who had already suffered multiple injuries.
“We had prioritized rescuing the boy. However, the conditions mean it is impossible for the boy to have survived,” he said.
The official said he consulted medical experts before declaring the boy dead on Wednesday, but crews would still work to recover the 10-year-old’s body as soon as possible for a proper burial, AFP reported. . The official added that it would be a “very difficult task”.
Vietnamese Prime Minister Pham Minh Chinh on Monday asked federal rescuers to join local authorities’ efforts to rescue the boy, AFP reported.
CLICK TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
Hundreds of military and engineering experts were mobilized on Tuesday to try to save him, according to the BBC. Crews tried to drill to soften the ground surrounding the pillar in an attempt to push the pillar out of the ground upwards. They also lowered a 62ft pipe to try and remove mud and water to ease the pressure around the pillar.